That’s all we drink. And sometimes when I pick it up, it’s so fresh that it’s not even cold yet!
But five years ago, even 3 years ago, if you would have told me that raw milk was the stuff to buy, I would have scrunched up my nose and groaned. That’s disgusting right? Why in the world would anyone want to drink real milk? Why would we want to drink it as God provided?
Let me tell you why I think Raw/Organic milk is the best:
- Umm…it’s how God gave it to us. And you can do so many things with real milk. Like make yogurt, kefir, whey, cheese, butter, cream cheese,and on and on.
- The cows are not injected with rBGH, a growth hormone. Milk that comes from cows that are treated with rBGH have higher levels of an insulin like hormone which causes your body’s cells to proliferate and it’s been linked to cancer. Plus, it shorten the milking life for the poor cows and causes mastitis which causes them to be given antibiotics.
- Pasteurizing actually causes much of the healthy part of milk to be killed off. Say goodbye to the healthy good bacteria (it acts like a probiotic and keeps your immune system healthy). Say goodbye to vital nutrients like folic acid and vitamins A, B6, B12, and C. Also say goodbye to the enzymes that are actually required to help digest milk and absorb it’s nutrients! (did you know, a lot of folks who think they are lactose intolerant are really just pasteurized milk intolerant?) Some of the enzymes lost include: lipase (helps digest fats) lactase (you need to digest lactose. And since it’s lacking in the pasteurized stuff, that’s why most people have a problem with it) and phosphatase (helps absorb calcium. Hmmm osteoporosis is on the rise why?) Heating the milk also changes the proteins of the milk and damages the much needed omega 3 fats.
- From my experience, usually raw milk farms have very earth and health conscience farmers. They treat their animals well, allowing the cows/goats/sheep to freely wander the pasture. Which in turn makes for healthier milk that contains more omega-3 fats and vitamin E than purely grain fed industrial animals.
- It doesn’t include any extra whey proteins to disguise the actual color. Skim milk has these added proteins and it actually has shown to change a persons hormone balance. Unfortunately, this balance seems to add more male hormones like androgen. And excess androgens have been shown to cause things like PCOS and ovulatory problems.
Now I would love to tell each one of you to go right now and look up your area on www.RealMilk.com and purchase some. But what I’d rather have you do, is go research it for yourself. (personally, it took me months to decide if this was something we wanted to do. Mostly for the fact that I was buying it because my 2 year old son could not tolerate store bought cows milk and I had to find a local source for goats milk. I needed to make sure it was safe for him) Go google ‘benefits of raw milk’, check out real milk.com or Raw Milk Facts.
And lots of folks would try to tell me that it is now easier to buy organic milk and that’s healthier than the conventional stuff. But is it? Most organic milk I’ve seen is pasteurized using a process called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) in which the milk is briefly heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit. This renders it completely sterile. Sterile and dead. Basically every major nutrient is damaged in this process. While the cows may be fed organic grain instead of non organic grain, is it really worth drinking something that has no benefits to you? This is also the type of milk that also has a shelf life of months!
Personally, if I could no longer buy raw milk (the government has actually made it illegal to purchase in most states and we currently have to buy through a “goat share”) I would purchase pasteurized non homogenized whole milk that comes from cows not treated with growth hormones or antibiotics. I have seen 2 different brands in my local health food stores, so I know it’s out there, and I would turn it into either yogurt or kefir and consume that way.
But I can’t ever imagine myself drinking ‘normal/conventional’ milk again. And I know I wouldn’t feed it to my kids as is. It’s really something we started on where I just did it to save money. (goats milk at the store is ultra heated, plus it cost me 16$ a gallon. Raw milk costs me the farm share plus 7$ a gallon) And now that I’ve done my research, I’m completely passionate about Raw Milk. My son has no problems digesting raw cow or goats milk whereas he previously experienced major constipation and horrible/blistery diaper rashes with conventional stuff. My husband can eat raw milk ice cream and raw milk and yogurt smoothies where before he could not.
*and as one small question for those on the fence about it: You know eating raw fruits and veggies is healthier than eating them cooked right? That an actual apple is healthier than applesauce which is healthier than apple juice? Why is that logic not applied to milk. Why is it not ok to consume raw milk, but rather it’s heated version?
All images and content are protected under US copyright laws, please do not copy and paste.
Links in the post above may be affiliate or referral links - meaning that through a sale I may be given monetary benefit. I blog with integrity and only endorse companies and products I love.
I am not a doctor and don\'t pretend to be one. Use everything you read only to inspire you to do your own research and be an advocate for your own health. Please read my disclaimer in full.