Some folks have an easy time of eating healthy meals. The problems come when it’s snack time. Especially around mid afternoon whether you’re stuck at work and waiting till 5:00, or at home and the chips are calling.
I am one of those folks. My health goals can fly out the window quicker than a cat chases a mouse as soon as I see some M&M’s sitting in the office candy bowl. (I swear the office I worked in was the worst diet sabotager ever!) So what do I do for healthy snacks? I actually plan them. Not really day specific, but when I go shopping I bring a list of snacks I need to buy in order to get me through the week. And it kept me out of the vending machine, and now it keeps me on my nutrition plan.
Plus snacking is actually healthy if done right. Eating every few hours keeps your blood sugar stable. And when your blood sugar (insulin) remains stable, your entire endocrine (hormone) system works better as a whole.It also helps you to control your eating during meals, since you aren’t famished by the time dinner rolls around. My snacks need to be quick, and they need to feed my body. And I need to be able to eat them with one hand since I normally eat them in front of the computer.
Things I always keep around for snacks:
- Raw nuts (preferably if I have time, I soak and dehydrate them)
- cheese, usually sharp white cheddar
- dried fruits
- grapes – I love grapes!
- cut up celery – cut it up when you bring it home and it’s ready to go
- baby carrots or regular carrots cut up – add some dip if you really need it
- hard boiled eggs – make half a dozen or so, peel them, and they’re ready to go
- fruit. any fruit will do, but the easiest ones are eaten without needing to be peeled
- granola bars
- wheat cinnamon graham squares – great if you crave something sweet!
- homemade wheat thins
- plain yogurt and fruit with honey – better if you’re not on the go
- popcorn popped in an air popper or popped in butter – NOT microwaved stuff!
- and when you must have chocolate (you know, during those hormonal times) go to the health food store and buy yourself some really good organic dark chocolate. It’s better than depriving yourself completely because if you’re anything like me, you’ll just end up devouring 3 snickers bars when you hit the store.
Well, that’s my week of snacks this week. I hope to find the time this afternoon to get most of them ready so I don’t have to think about it anymore and I can just grab and go. Otherwise my husbands Doritos start to look to good. Must. Stay. Away. (really I do, they give me migraines because of the MSG, but sometimes it’ s just not a strong enough deterrent!)