The first time I made soup with a butternut squash, my husband took one bite and pushed his bowl away. I, however, at least ate mine. Though it wasn’t that good (shhhh…I told him it tasted fine and to ‘just eat it’!)
I couldn’t let it go though. I knew it was supposed to taste good, and I wanted to really like it. And after a few variations, I finally hit the nail on the head! Even my husband liked the taste, though in his words “It needs something. Something to chew“, while he proceeded to add broccoli to his. So obviously he isn’t big on blended soups!
This creamy soup is flavorful without overpowering any dish you serve it with. You can also use an immersion blender if you prefer a chunkier soup, or add in more broth if you like it thinner.
(also – it does taste great with broccoli in it!)
*Also – don’t forget about the allergy friendly and healthy Menu Plan giveaway from Heart of Cooking!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute onions until soft.
- Add potatoes, carrots, squash, and 3.5 cups broth, simmer for about 30 minutes or until all vegetables are soft.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture and half of the cream cheese into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Use the remaining broth if you need it for ease in blending.
- Finish with the other half of the soup mixture and the rest of the cream cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
All images and content are protected under US copyright laws, please do not copy and paste.
Links in the post above may be affiliate or referral links - meaning that through a sale I may be given monetary benefit. I blog with integrity and only endorse companies and products I love.
I am not a doctor and don\'t pretend to be one. Use everything you read only to inspire you to do your own research and be an advocate for your own health. Please read my disclaimer in full.