While we still have some cool nights in which to enjoy a nice warm comfort food like chili, I thought I’d better post this! I used to make white chili quite often for my husband but stopped due to the fact that the store bought mix I used contained way to many ingredients that I didn’t care for. After some searching and tweaking I came up with one that my husband won’t stop ranting about and one that doesn’t include a mix, or can, or anything else packaged!
- 1 Tbsp butter or oil
- 2 cups cubed chicken (you can use leftover roast chicken as well, but it will ‘shred’)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp dried minced garlic or garlic powder)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or more depending on how thick/thin you like your chili)
- 2 Anaheim peppers, chopped and seeds removed
- 1-3 jalapenos, chopped and seeds removed (depending on ripeness they vary from mild to spicy)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans (or white northern)
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- optional: red pepper flakes (for added spice if the jalapenos don’t give it enough kick!) sour cream, and salsa
- Pour the oil into a hot pan and cook chicken until done. (drain if it gets really greasy)
- Add onions and cook over medium until onions become tender. Add the garlic and and peppers, simmer for an additional minute.
- Add in the chicken, broth, beans and additional seasonings, simmering for at least 20 minutes. Taste and add red pepper flakes if needed.
- Stir in about 8 ounces of the shredded cheese, simmer for another 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Top with the rest of the cheese, sour cream, or salsa and serve.
- This recipe is easily doubled and can be made in the crockpot and left to simmer all day as well. (though leave out the cheese until the last 15 minutes of cooking)
All images and content are protected under US copyright laws, please do not copy and paste.
Links in the post above may be affiliate or referral links - meaning that through a sale I may be given monetary benefit. I blog with integrity and only endorse companies and products I love.
I am not a doctor and don\'t pretend to be one. Use everything you read only to inspire you to do your own research and be an advocate for your own health. Please read my disclaimer in full.