My e-mail has recently been flooded with messages from new readers, and the biggest question is “How do I start changing my diet?”. And you know, it wasn’t to long ago that I had those same questions! When it finally hit me that real, God given nutrition was the base of all health, I couldn’t wait to change. But the changes that needed to take place were overwhelming, and I had to completely rethink how I felt about food.
Some things were easy to change, other things I’m still working on. And the way each of us attack these new issues will be slightly different than the next as our comfort levels are not the same. Or our finances will not support a quick overhaul. Perhaps some of our husbands even balk at the idea.
But again, the question is “Where do you start?”.
Well, last year I did a short series on Small Changes for Better Health that I’ll quickly outline again for you with links to the complete posts.
- Cut out high fructose corn syrup – important not only for getting this out of your diet, but when you do, you’re also cutting out a lot of processed foods!
- Switch to whole wheat bread products – you can tackle the whole ‘soaking’ thing later on, but try getting yourself and your family used to the flavor of whole wheat products. Also lower your intake of bread products as well! (as a side note – I know there are many in the real food community that would recommend eating white flour products over unsoaked whole wheat, so use your discretion and choose what is best for you and your family. Personally, I’ve decided that the blood sugar spikes are more of a concern for my own health than the fact that whole wheat products could be potentially causing my body to lose nutrients. I figure this is a short term thing!)
- Don’t eat any food product that contains MSG.
- Stop eating (or buying) and foods that contain trans fats.
- Stop drinking soda! Not only is it all just empty calories that do nothing to nourish your body, it can actually have some drastic and unfortunate changes to your body.
- Skip foods that come in a package!
- Start buying organic produce.
- Eat more raw foods to make sure your body is getting the nutrients that are normally lost while cooking.
- Put your big girl panties on and Try Something New! Your health depends on it so you need to get out of your comfort zone and just do it.
Have you started to change your diet with any of these small steps? I challenge you to begin now! So take some time this next week and really look through your pantry. Take some extra time at the store and read labels before you toss things into your cart.
Next week I’ll have a small nourishing foods challenge for you, as these small steps focus more on cutting things out. Soon we’ll start adding some fabulous nourishing foods back in!
This post is linked to: Fight Back Friday
All images and content are protected under US copyright laws, please do not copy and paste.
Links in the post above may be affiliate or referral links - meaning that through a sale I may be given monetary benefit. I blog with integrity and only endorse companies and products I love.
I am not a doctor and don\'t pretend to be one. Use everything you read only to inspire you to do your own research and be an advocate for your own health. Please read my disclaimer in full.